FREDONIA, N.Y.— Andrew Husted (Niagara Falls/Grand Island) netted a power-play goal with six second remaining to send the game to overtime but the Bengals could not break through on seven shots in the extra period as Buffalo State tied nationally No. 14/15-ranked Fredonia in a "Battle by the Lake" classic this evening in Steele Hall.
FINAL SCORE: Buffalo State – 4, #14/15 Fredonia – 4
LOCATION: Steele Hall - Fredonia, N.Y.
RECORDS: Buffalo State (7-8-2/4-4-2), Fredonia (11-3-4/5-2-2)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Husted, Ben Butcher (Bellingham, WA/Langley), Zach Remers (Clarence/Clarence) and Connor Zak (Amherst/Nichols) all scored for the Bengals.
- Michael Anthony Guerrera (Montreal,QC/Ontario Hockey Academy) tallied two assists while Husted, Reid Bibb (Gaithersburg/Gaithersburg) and Vadim Vasjonkin (Tallinn, Estonia/Lake Forest Academy) all registered an assist.
- Connor Minch (Manchester, NH/Manchester Central) finished with 26 saves in net for the Bengals.
- Fredonia outshot the Bengals 11-9 in the first period and were rewarded with a lone marker on a power play to give the Blue Devils the early lead.
- Buffalo State evened the score just over two minutes into the second period as Remers netted his sixth goal of the year off assists by Vasjonkin and Husted.
- Fredonia responded by extending its lead back to 2-1 on a power-play goal at the midway point of the second period.
- The Bengals closed the second frame with a pair of goals in just under seven minutes to take a 3-2 lead into the final intermission.
- Butcher started the Bengals' surge with his second goal of the season to tie the game at 2-2.
- Zak put Buffalo State ahead with his second collegiate goal just 19 seconds into a late power-play opportunity.
- Fredonia tacked on a third goal just under four minutes into the third period and reclaimed the lead just over four minutes later with a one-timer off a blocked shot.
- After 11 minutes of scoreless action, Buffalo State pulled its goalie in favor of an extra skater with 1:10 left and rattled off six shots before finally breaking through on the final shot.
- Husted's goal was his sixth of the season and second in as many games. Guerrera earned an assist on the play.
- Buffalo State had multiple chances in the extra period, including a power-play chance, but could not break through as the score ended at 4-4.
- The Bengals held a 38-30 advantage in shots and were 2 of 7 with an extra skater.
- Fredonia also finished 2 of 7 on power-play chances.
FOR THE FOES
- Bobby Polachek, Victor Tracy, Mike Freeman and Jimmy Morgan all scored for the Blue Devils.
- Anton Rosen finished with 34 saves for Fredonia.
- By virtue of the tie, both Buffalo State and Fredonia earn one point in the season-long "Battle by the Lake" competition between the two schools. Fredonia leads by a slim 8-6 lead.
The "Battle by the Lake" shifts back to the Ice Arena tomorrow as Buffalo State hosts Fredonia at 7 p.m.